A street food favourite made with home fresh ingredients and cooked on the BBQ for the perfect half time helping!4 souvlakis 1 hr 20 mins | Cooking Time: 15-20 mins Piece of Cake
- Cut the chicken thighs into 3cm chunks. Combine the yoghurt, oregano, lemon zest, chilli flakes, garlic, olive oil and salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces and mix to coat. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to marinate.
- Meanwhile cut the cucumber into 1cm thick half moon pieces. Combine with the cherry tomatoes, olives, parsley leaves and onion.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper in small dish or jar and set aside.
- Squeeze the grated cucumber in your hands over the sink to remove the excess moisture. Place it into a serving bowl with the extra yoghurt, sea salt, olive oil and garlic. Mix to combine and set aside.
- When ready to cook thread the chicken pieces onto metal skewers.
- Dress the salad with the dressing from the dish or jar.
- Heat a bbq flat plate or large fry pan over high heat hot. Add the skewers and cook for around 3 minutes on all 4 sides or until cooked through. Remove and place on a clean plate to rest for a few minutes.
- Spray the pita breads with a little olive oil on one side and place onto the same hot plate or pan. Cook for 20-30 seconds to gently warm and toast slightly.
- Serve the chicken in the pittas with the cucumber yoghurt and some salad.
*chicken thighs are the best cut for this recipe because they will be moist and juicy once cooked.
*recipe can easily be doubled
Recipe made with love by Sally Lukey from Sweetpea Cuisine.